VAZHAITHANDU RAITHA / VAZHAITHANDU THAYIR PACHADI / BANANA STEM RAITHA


I Love vazhaithandu to the core.  Last week I went to Indian stores and I was waiting in the billing section. The owner of the store came to me and he asked " didn't buy banana stem"?!  I could not understand and I was blank what is banana stem :-(  Be a Tamizhachi for some vegetables I have no clue and the same happened that day :-)  He was continuously saying banana stem and in a minute time I guessed oh it's vazhaithandu.....how I missed it.  I just left the trolly and I never mind to run from there.  My husband might thought how mad I am :-)  There were three stems and I just grabbed it fully.  I was so happy and all the way till home was talking about the vazhaithandu story :-) My poor husband was the only listener whatever I talks :-)  Let me stop this story!

Back to vazhaithandu it is an awesome vegetable which has a lot of nutrition value.  Most of them make poriyal, sambar and even juice.  I have made sambar last week and yet to be posted.  Whenever I get Indian vegetables I want make it full use of it so that I no need to be sad until I get again.  It has more diet benefits and you can get more information in the net which is readily available.  Though it takes time to cut but the dish will be very crunchy and tasty.  Try this vazhaithandu raitha and try to add vazhaithandu often in your diet.  I must thank to one of my friend sangeetha for telling me about this quick and tasty dish.  

INGREDIETNS:

Vazhaithandu       - 1 cup finely chopped
Curd                     - 1 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves  - 3 tsp finely chopped
Salt                       - to taste

To temper:

Oil                         - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds       - 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal              - 12 tsp
Green chillies        - 1 tsp finely chopped
Hing / Asafoetida  - a pinch

HOW TO MAKE:

Peel vazhaithandu skin and remove the fibre.  Cut into small pieces put into the bowl of butter water. Add a tsp of butter milk into it.  Mix well and keep aside.  You can keep this in the fridge and can be used next day or two.  Heat oil in a pan / tava splutter mustard seeds, add urad dhal and green chillies. Add asafoetida.  Drain the water fully and add vazhaithandu pieces.  Make sure there is no water in it. Mix well and turn of the stove.  No need to cook.  Allow to cool down.  


Take a curd in a bowl and add salt.  Blend well.  Add seasoned vazhaidhandu and mix well.  Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. 


You can eat with any meal, roties or even as a snack.  


TIPS:

Drain the water fully before adding in the seasoning.  

Grated coconut also can be added.

Vazhaithandu need not to be cooked.


Comments

Archive

Show more